Milwaukee Lionel Railroad Club, Inc.
2721 South Calhoun Road
New Berlin Wisconsin 53151-3513
The Milwaukee Lionel RR Club was founded January 1947.
Our club is the second oldest club in the state of Wisconsin. See the Club's accomplishments, past to present
The Lionel RR Club was founded by Jerry Brettschneider, in January 1947, during a huge snow storm, that shut the city of Milwaukee down for a couple of days. Jerry and five of his neighborhood friends started the club, as a means to pass the time, during this storm. This makes the club the second oldest club in the state of Wisconsin.
The club grew over the years, and finally it had to move from Jerry's parents basement to its first formal club headquarters in 1975 located at N 79 St and Burleigh St. In 1984 the club had to find larger quarters, so it moved to 10236 W. Fond du Lac Ave, Milwaukee. (see article from CTT Sept 1997, updated in Sept 2006) Finally in March 2002, the club purchased its own commercial space, and moved to 2721 S. Calhoun Rd, New Berlin, WI. Several Lionel Layouts are built, which features the Hellgate Bridge, that carries track for Standard Gauge and O Gauge Trains. This bridge was featured in many local newspapers, and in Classic Toy Train Magazine.
Other programs and activites that the club is involved in is Operation Lifesaver, The Boy Scout Merit Badge Program, maintains a large 12 by 32 foot portable layout, and two smaller layouts for community programs. A very popular All Gauge Train Swap meet has been run by the club since 1976. The event is currently held from the months of October thru March, at the Clarion Hotel - Milwaukee Airport, 5311 S. Howell Ave, WI 53207. Held generally on the 3rd Sunday each month, from 8 a.m. to Noon. Check the calendar for exact dates. Swap Meet info
Founder Jerry Brettschneider did not stop here, after joining the Army Reserves and going on several active duty tours, he started clubs in St Louis, San Francisco, Chicago, and Racine, WI.